Monday 6 June 2011

What is kitsch?

What is kitsch? This question will no doubt be repeated hundreds of times in this blog, because I'm constantly rewriting it in my dissertation journal. So come follow my thoughts on kitsch...

My first journal entry I began by discussing the idea of inherent value.

The term kitsch always implies an inherently negative value judgement. Kitsch is a matter of value whether artistic or cultural/social. The negative value of kitsch has been accounted for in a few different ways. Some hold that it is a matter of personal preference or of elitism. Others hold that it is based on structural features and properties of the work of art. No matter what, kitsch is always bad.

But kitsch and bad art are not always synonymous. Art can be bad without being kitsch. Art can be bad without being kitsch. Below are a couple examples of that found on the Museum of Bad Art website.


More



In the Cat's Mouth


So what makes kitsch so bad?
Why do I think kitsch is bad?
What makes Thomas Kinkade's work kitsch?


This leads into a long list of preliminary questions to ask myself about the nature of kitsch which I hope to oneday feel like I can answer.

From this I have established in my head that though kitsch is inherently negative it does not mean that bad art and kitsch are the same thing. Kitsch very often tends to have the look of refined high quality and is often created by someone with great artistic skills... therefore we should believe that there is something other than skill and technique that separates kitsch from legitimate art.

No comments:

Post a Comment